How to Make Natural Cough Syrup, Throat Soothing Too!
Honey and onions, you ask? Seriously, this simple combo packs a huge punch when it comes to soothing a sore throat and calming a cough. It's easy to make, too! All you need is about a half a red onion and a bit of honey! This is a traditional folk recipe that's been passed down for generations. Yummy and boy, does it work great!
How to Make Onion-Honey Cough Syrup
Ingredients for Onion-Honey Cough Syrup
Half a red onion, cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces
Directions for Onion-Honey Cough Syrup
1. Place about an inch tall section of onion pieces into a wide mouth pint jar. I used a quart-size jar, and that's fine, but it is easier to get to the syrup with a pint-sized jar.
2. Now drizzle a bit of honey over the top. Like a glaze.
3. Now put some more onions on top.
4. Repeat the honey drizzle.
5. Keep repeating until the onions are all in the jar, and the honey is just barely covering. I tend to put WAY too much honey in mine. You just need to barely cover the onions, as they will rise to the top anyway.
6. Cover with a lid and let sit overnight.
7. After a few hours, you'll find an amazing liquid on top! It's oniony but sweet, and it is Uh-Mazing for soothing a sore throat and calming an irritating cough.
Onions are well known for their medicinal benefits and helping to cure flu and cold quickly. When combined with the honey (also a well-known antibacterial and super soothing for irritated tissues), you have a wonderful-tasting, soothing cough syrup!
You can strain off the liquid, but I just leave the whole thing intact and keep getting the syrup as I need it.
How to Use Your Homemade Honey Onion Cough Syrup
Just take a teaspoon or two when you feel like you need it. Obviously, honey and onions are both quite safe to use (except do NOT give this to infants under 12 months due to the honey). Frankly, I am a little addicted. lol
I hope you enjoy this, and if you give it a try, please let me know how it goes! Do you have a different way to manage coughs? Let us know!
Hugs and Self-Reliance!
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. In no manner, in any article anywhere on HealingHarvestHomestead.com or elsewhere in comments, etc. is there any implication of prevention, cure, diagnosis, or treatment of any medical issue. Please see a medical professional for advice. I simply provide my own opinion based on study and experience, and it is every person's responsibility to do their due diligence.
Affiliate Disclosure: There may be affiliate links in this post, and if you happen to click through on one and make any type of purchase, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you! Thank you so much for helping to support me in my blogging habit!