30 Easy Recipes & Ideas for Using Your Tomato Harvest This Summer
The tomatoes are finally ripening! Yay! Even if you are not growing your own tomatoes this year, I bet you're finding the prices are amazing in the stores and the Farmer's Markets! If you find yourself with a ton of tomatoes to use up, here are some recipes using tomatoes you'll love! I've categorized them so you can find the tomato recipe that's right for you!
Tomato Recipes You'll Love to Try
Fermented Tomato Recipes
Fermentation is one of my favorite methods of preserving vegetables for later. The product lasts a very long time, and tastes more and more delicious as time goes on. What could be better? It's also a very easy process that is not as time consuming as canning. Here are a few recipes for fermenting tomatoes:
1) Russian Fermented Tomatoes from Heidi @ Healing Harvest Homestead
2) Fermented Green & Red Tomato Salsa from Heidi
3) Fermented Cherry Tomato Bombs from Colleen @ Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment
4) Fermented Garlic & Basil Tomatoes from Yum Universe
Cooking with Tomatoes
These recipes involve using tomatoes in delicious recipes for your family. I think you'll really like these!
1) Gluten-Free Fried Green Tomatoes by Laura @ You Should Grow
2) Perfect Fried Green Tomatoes (SO Good) by Heidi @ Healing Harvest Homestead
3) Homemade Rotel Tomatoes recipe by Christina @ Little Sprouts Learning
4) Italian Pierogies by Bonnie @ A Not So Modern Housewife
5) Avocado-Tomato-Cucumber Salad by Kelly @ Montana Happy
6) Summer Charcuterie Board by Alecia at Chicken Scratch NY
7) What to Do With Green Tomatoes by Mary @ Boots and Hooves Homestead (There are a ton of great recipes and ideas in this article!)
8) How to Make the Perfect Frittata by Heidi @ Healing Harvest Homestead
9) Summer Fiesta Quinoa Salad by yours truly
10) Roasted Corn and Basil Stuffed Tomatoes by Lindsey @ A Pinch of Yum, one of my favorite food blogs!
Condiments Using Tomatoes
Tomatoes are so good used in a variety of condiments, dips, and sauces! Here you go:
1) Paleo Ketchup by Anna @ Salt in My Coffee & Celebrating a Simple Life
2) Homemade Healthy Ketchup by Heidi (Yes, it's the same recipe as above. You don't have to ferment it if you don't want to!)
3) How to Make Roasted Tomato Sauce by Sarah @ The Free Range Life
4) Easy Ketchup Recipe--Perfect for GAPS, Paleo by Victoria @ A Modern Homestead
5) Black Bean and Corn Salsa (the foundation is tomatoes) by Danielle @ The Rustic Elk--and she includes canning directions, too!
6) Homemade Tomato Sauce by Marie @ Fierce Beyond 50
I have yet to try my hand at creating tomato jam or jelly. But! I am sure tempted after reading through these recipes!
1) Sweet Tomato Jam by Phillip @ Southern Fatty
2) Tuscan Tomato Jam from the Ball Canning website
3) Savory Tomato Jam from Lindy @ Lindy Sez (This one looks especially good, because it's got a spicy tang with jalapeno peppers and savory spices.)
Dehydrated, Juiced, and Preserved Tomatoes
Dehydrating your excess produce is one of the best ways to use up your supply! Did you know you can make sun-dried tomatoes right in your own home? There are other ways to use and preserve those tomatoes too. Here are some ideas plus some tips for prepping tomatoes!
1) How to Make Sun-Dried Tomatoes in a Dehydrator by Anna at Salt in My Coffee
2) Homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes by Lesa @ Better Hens and Gardens
3) How to Freeze Tomatoes for Easier Canning Later by Victoria @ A Modern Homestead
5) Best Tomatoes for Canning by Ashley @ Practical Self-Reliance
6) Six Ways to Peel Your Tomatoes by Delci @ A Life of Heritage (This is a life saver!)
Final Thoughts on Tomato Harvest Recipes
I hope you'll give some of these recipes and ideas a try! And-- let me know what you think! Any time you end up with a lot of produce, it can be a challenge figuring out how to use it all up. With these 30 Tomato Recipes and Ideas---I hope it helps! It sure helped me, as I figure out and decide what I'm going to do with all those 'maters this summer!
You may also be interested in these related articles:
- Fermentation: What is It? And Why You Should be Eating Fermented Foods Every Day
- How to Dehydrate Your Fall Apples for a Delicious and Healthy Snack
- How to Make Fire Cider: An Incredible Health Tonic
- How to Make Fermented Baby Zucchini Pickles
And lots more on the blog! Enjoy!
Hugs, Health, and Self-Reliance,
P.S. I hope you'll sign up for the newsletter! You'll never miss a thing, and I'll be sending you three free eBooks too! And of course, you can unsubscribe at any time.